There’s a hidden gem of entertainment at the Disneyland Resort during the Christmas season.
It really isn’t advertised nor publicly announced, but a lot of Disney insiders, fans, and even Christians know about and look forward to every year.
It’s called the Candlelight Processional and Ceremony and its a yearly concert and retelling of The First Christmas (or birth of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ) as told through various biblical scriptures and and Christmas music and hymns.
The history of the event started with Walt Disney back in 1958 and has included many local choirs to make up the mass choir that takes part in singing the hymns and songs along with the live orchestra. The event has also hosted many celebrity narrators who bring various Bible scriptures describing the birth of the Lord Jesus Christ. Narrators in the past include people like Dick Van Dyke and Jon Voight.
Since its beginning, the Candlelight Processional has only taken place during a single weekend toward the beginning of December.
In a stray from tradition, we are proud to announce that Candlelight will be taking place for 20 nights this year for a total of 40 performances!
That’s right, more time to hear about Jesus Christ at the Happiest Place on Earth! Here’s what you need to know –
- The first 4 performances (2 nightly) on December 1 & 2 will have reserved seating for VIPs and special guests (Note that guests will still be able to attend and watch from the reserved seats around Town Square).
- The main stage will be at the Main Street Train Station.
- Every night after that from December 3 to December 20 (2 performances each night as well), Disneyland Annual Passholders and guests who book a special dining packages will be able to have reserved seating for 1 of 2 nightly shows.
- Disneyland Annual Passholders who register for premium seating online will be at no cost (but register quickly! Entry period ends on Sunday, November 18)!
Booking and reservation details have not been announced yet, but we’ll be sure to repost and update this post when we have the details. We encourage EVERYONE Disney fan/regular Disneyland Resort visitor to see this spectacular event at least once.
You won’t regret it.
* * *
*UPDATE – This year’s narrators have been announced! They include –
- Dec. 1-2: Dennis Haysbert (actor)*
- Dec. 3-5: Kurt Russell (actor and Disney Legend)
- Dec. 6-8: Edward James Olmos (actor)
- Dec. 9-11: Lou Diamond Phillips (actor)
- Dec. 12-13: Dick Van Dyke (actor and Disney Legend)
- Dec. 14: Dennis Haysbert (actor) – NEW! [as of 12/4/12]
- Dec. 15-16: Patricia Heaton (actress)
- Dec. 17-19: Molly Ringwald (actress)
- Dec. 20: John Stamos (actor) – NEW! [as of 12/4/12]
*Shows on December 1 & 2 will be by invitation only – a tradition Walt Disney started when he started Candlelight in 1958.
– – –
Have you all seen Candlelight before? Let us know what you think in the comments below.