This is just a friendly reminder that the classic Disneyland attraction Big Thunder Mountain will be closing this coming Monday, January 7 for at least the majority of the year!
The refurbishment will be similar to the one that took place for Space Mountain from 2003 to 2005. Just like that refurbishment, Imagineers will replace the whole track, make a larger loading/unloading zone, and will install a new ride control system with better safety features. The queue (or line) will also be prepped for a new “FastPass” system that is set to debut at Disneyland later next year.
The $4 million refurbishment will extend until the Fall with no specific reopening date announced yet.
This weekend is your LAST CHANCE to get your ride on the “Wildest Ride in the Wilderness” for the majority of 2013! This coming Monday will also be your last chance to ride and experience other attractions that are set to close for refurbishments including –
- Big Thunder Ranch Petting Zoo – closed until Jan. 17
- Haunted Mansion (to remove holiday overlay) – closed until Jan. 17
- Mark Twain Riverboat – closed until Mar. 28
- Fantasmic! – closed until Feb. 14
- Grizzly River Run (Disney California Adventure) – closed until Feb. 28
– – –
UPDATE – Big Thunder Mountain is now closed. We’ll update you here and in other posts to track the refurbishment progress until reopening day.