Earlier this morning, we were in Hollywood to learn more about the next version of Disney’s boldest gaming initiative yet. Disney Infinity, which debuted to the world just over a year ago in Hollywood as well, was promoted as “bold” because of what it aimed to do – unite the characters and worlds (and everything else in them) of Disney and allow them to be “played with”. That playing was created through a very customizable video game interface that allows gamers to be “in” the Disney story itself. That Disney story has changed with the revelation of new characters and worlds in TV and movies…including the Marvel universe.
At the press event in the beautiful and historic Cinerama Dome, both Disney and Marvel executives were on hand to reveal what new things were coming to the game in version 2.0. The inclusion of the Marvel worlds and characters was the centerpiece of the presentation. Director Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) opened up the event with a special video transmission that gave way to colleague Agent Coulson himself Clark Gregg.
After his quick welcome, he then introduced Joe Quesada, the Chief Creative Officer of Marvel who gave a speech on how Marvel’s storytelling made it a perfect addition to the Disney Infinity game. He then showed us a gameplay trailer featuring Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, and the rest of the Avengers. Our quick eyes also spotted Loki, Spiderman, and the Green Goblin in the trailer as well for a future release.
Executive Producer of Disney Infinity John Vignocchi then showed us some of the other improvements and enhancements coming to the game that were made after listening to player feedback. He emphasized that the characters (including those newly added Marvel ones) would be true to their character with ways to level up and achieve special attacks and moves that would make each more unique. He also noted that the famous “Toy Box” mode, where gamers can take any of the Disney characters and worlds and build them into their own worlds, would also get a lot of enhancements including a structured play mode where gamers can turn their worlds into fun games.
In addition to the new, Vignocchi also noted that everything from 1.0 (the power base, figures, power discs, and even Toy Box creations) would be compatible with the new version. He also announced that the game will be also be available for XBOX One and PS4 systems.
Disney Infinity 2.0 indeed includes a lot more to solicit a version bump. From the addition of the Marvel elements to gameplay enhancements, all this points to something that was heavily emphasized from Infinity’s initial debut – that it would be endless in what it could bring players. And those players seem to agree with the game outperforming in revenue compared to all other video games in 2013 according to Disney Interactive President Jimmy Pitaro. It’s all of this, as well as continued backing by the entire Walt Disney Company and estimated $500 million in global sales so far, that will continue Disney Infinity into infinity and beyond yet again.
Disney Infinity 2.0: Marvel Super Heroes will be available this fall. More detailed information on the game itself can be found below –
- MARVEL FRANCHISES – Marvel franchises introduce deeper, immersive storylines and Marvel Super Heroes deliver new combat gameplay, more destruction in game worlds, authentic Marvel gadgets and vehicles in Play Sets and Toy Box.
- EPIC STORYLINES – Original, character driven stories written by award-winning Marvel comic writer, Brian Michael Bendis. Authentic, intertwined stories where some Marvel Super Heroes can cross between Play Sets, all set in iconic Marvel locations.
- ENHANCED TOY BOX – An all-new Toy Box mode that makes it easier for players to create and share their one-of-a-kind levels and mini-games with family and friends. Use the new Auto Creator tool to quickly build your worlds faster and easier than ever before.
- TOY BOX GAME DISCS – New pyramid shaped discs deliver structured, franchise-themed games to the Toy Box. Build and customize your games by using Toy Box Toys of your choice and play through each game using any Disney Infinity character to complete missions.
- FORWARD COMPATIBILITY – All of your Disney Infinity figures, toys and power discs are compatible with the Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes Toy Box – stats and upgrades intact. Disney Infinity characters can increase their level cap from level 15 to 20 and skills can be allocated across a variety of attributes using the Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes skill tree.
- POWER DISCS – New set of circular and hexagonal Power Discs will be available for Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes. Circular discs will add costumes, Area of Effect attacks and team-ups. Hexagonal power discs will add new weapons, vehicles and sky and terrain customizations.
Select Power Disc descriptions are below:
– Marvel Skies and Textures
- World War Hulk – Customize your landscape to make it look as if Hulk went on a smashing rampage
- World War Hulk Sky – Turn your blue skies green with this Hulk themed power disc
- Stark Tech – Deck out your Toy Box compliments of Tony Stark. Unlock the Stark Industries Tech theme with upgraded Hologram Readout Tech ability
- View from the Suit – Ever wonder what it’s like to see the world from inside Iron Man’s helmet? Check out the Hologram Readout Tech upgrade and unlock Stark Industries “View from the Suit”
– Marvel Vehicles/Mounts
- Hydra Motorcycle – Take Hydra’s Motorcycle for a spin. Sidecar included
- Lola – Need a ride? Unlock this Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. hover car
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Containment Truck – Contain enemies and protect civilians with this S.H.I.E.L.D. truck
- Falcon’s Wings – You’ll be soaring when you put on Falcon’s Wings
- The Avenjet – Hop on board the Avenjet for a speed boost in your Toy Box
– Marvel Team-Ups and Costumes
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier Strike – Send down a missile strike from above. Your enemies will need to take cover
- Marvel Team Up: Winter Solder – Team up with the Winter Soldier and catch your enemies in the crossfire
- Marvel Team Up: Iron Patriot – Hit them hard, hit them fast, hit them everywhere! Iron Patriot reporting for duty
- Stark Arc Reactor – Try the Mark 42 on for size! Unlock Iron Man’s black and white special edition Guardians of the Galaxy armor with added boom!
- Sentinel of Liberty – Expand your Super Hero wardrobe with Captain America’s World War II costume and original shield!
- Gamma Rays – Time to get old school and unlock the Original Grey Hulk costume with added smash!
The Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) video game Starter Pack includes:
– 1 Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) Video Game
– 3 Marvel Super Heroes Figures: Iron Man, Thor and Black Widow
– 1 Disney Infinity Base (2.0 Edition)
– 2 Toy Box Game Discs
– 1 Marvel’s The Avengers Play Set piece
– 1 Web Code Card
Starter Pack: $74.99
Play Sets: $34.99
Disney Infinity Figure: $13.99
Power Disc Pack: $4.99
– – –
Will you be getting Disney Infinity 2.0? Are you happy that Marvel has made another appearance on another Disney product? Have you even heard of Disney Infinity before? What do you think of the concept? For those who’ve played Infinity already, what are your thoughts on the enhancements and new features? Comment below!