DisneyExaminer is made for Disney fans, by Disney fans. Today we’re featuring two valuable staff members who have contributed much to the way we’ve been able to present the latest Disney news for you: Kathrina, a vetran who stayed with us long after her internship ended, and Michelle, the latest to complete our program. Check out their stories to see what it’s like to work with us!
If you’re inspired by their stories, feel free to apply for our Spring 2015 internships! Applications close January 18th. We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
I am a little seasoned right now, but I was a DisneyExaminer intern for 2015 Spring. I can whole-heartedly say that being an intern for this place was one of the best decisions that I made in my college career. The staff are some of the brightest, hard-working, creative, and talented people that I have had the privilege to work with.
Not only did I make friendships at DisneyExaminer, I also grew as a writer. I remember when I did my internship I was pushed out of my comfort zone and was assigned to write a story each week throughout the semester. I was daunted by this task, but looking back I am so glad that they challenged me to push out content on a weekly basis. I was able to think outside the box for creative ideas, and my writing got better in general with the help of my wonderful editor!
Overall, I feel very fortunate to be part of this team. From covering “Monkey Kingdom” to being part of the D23 Expo, DisneyExaminer has given me some of the most memorable moments of my life so far. I am happy to be part of this staff after my internship, and I would like to say a big THANK YOU to everyone on this team!
Last fall, I became a DisneyExaminer.
DisneyExaminer (n) 1. one who takes a closer look at Disney 2. a premiere online magazine that reports on all things Disney
The first thing I did was celebrate at Plaza Inn with their popular fried chicken dinner. Why? During my interview, we were talking about our favorite foods at Disneyland and I mentioned that I had never tried their chicken. Spoiler alert: It’s some of the best fried chicken I’ve ever had. Interning for DisneyExaminer as a writer led me to new experiences both great and small:
- I was able to coordinate with publicists from Walt Disney Parks and Resorts to interview an artist-in-residence at the WonderGround Gallery, Miss Mindy.
- I got to see Mike play around with an Iron Man repulsor arm from the Avengers Playmation starter kit on my first ever DisneyExaminer meeting.
- I scoured Orange County for vintage Disney clothing and came out with some awesome finds.
- I got to be a guest on DisneyExaminer’s podcast.
- Got to use the “I’m doing this for an article” line for justifying food purchases at Disneyland multiple times.
- I got to interview Sanjay Patel, director of Sanjay’s Super Team, and ask him how he feels about the importance of media representation.
- I attended my first ever press event for The Good Dinosaur and sat in on multiple roundtables with the cast, director, and producer of the film.
- I got to visit the Walt Disney Studios lot in in Burbank to preview the film before it released in theatres.
- I went to the Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue for the first (and last) time.
Without DisneyExaminer, I would have never gotten the push to experience things as simple and new as trying the fried chicken at Plaza Inn for the first time. As a budding journalist, it allowed me to learn how creating content for an online audience works and the prevalence and emergence of digital media as a primary source of information and media consumption. Most of all, the internship allowed me to connect and make friendships with some of the kindest and talented people I know, the DisneyExaminer Staff.
Thanks for all the good laughs!
If you’re a talented worker and a lover of Disney, we’d love to experience these opportunities with you too.