STEM fields (Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) have traditionally been lacking in female scholars – but Marvel wants to change that.
With the brand new Captain America: Civil War – Girls Reforming the Future Challenge, Marvel is inviting girls, ages 15-18 in grades 10-12, to enter their very own STEM-based project ideas. Applicants must apply, complete their project, and enter a video upon the project’s completion.
Up to five finalists will receive many prizes, great for Disney fans and STEM scholars alike, including:
- A $500 High Yield Savings account from Synchrony Bank.
- A trip to Hollywood to present their project to leaders in science and industry at Marvel Studios.
- Participation in a live global Broadcom Masters webinar during which they will discuss how their STEM skills enabled them to create their projects.
- The opportunity to walk the red carpet at the World Premiere of Captain America: Civil War on April 12, 2016.
- A tour of the Walt Disney Studios and Dolby Laboratories facilities.
But most will probably aim for the grand prize: one finalist whose project shows exceptional potential will win the opportunity to intern at Marvel Studios!
This contest comes just after Disney’s announcement of the Dream Big, Princess campaign, and it’s great to see that the company sees women as complex and multi-talented. This contest is sure to get some great entries, and it will hopefully inspire more women to explore many more academic fields.
Videos will be accepted until March 26 at 9:00 PM Pacific Time, so check out the official entry form on Marvel’s website and start creating!
UPDATE 4/6 – meet the finalists of the challenge in the below video!
– – –
Like what you see here on DisneyExaminer? Help support us grow and be rewarded with even more content and experiences by becoming a DisneyExaminer Patron!