Storytelling, whether through movies or books, is an important part of inspiring imaginations, and Disney knows this well.
From now through March 31, the “Magic of Storytelling” campaign will donate up to one million books to First Book, a non-profit organization that provides books and support to schools and programs serving low-income families. First Book, Disney Publishing, and Disney|ABC Television Group hope to reach as many children as possible with this program.
“For more than 80 years, Disney books have brought children and parents together, sparking imaginations and inspiring dreams,” said Andrew Sugerman, executive vice president, content and media, Disney Consumer Products and Interactive Media in a press release. “We are thrilled to be part of a program that encourages a love of reading and makes these stories available to as many people as possible. We’re honored to continue our work with First Book to bring the Magic of Storytelling to kids in need around the country.”
Here’s how you can help donate one (or a few!) of the million book goal. Learn more about participating on magicofstorytelling.com.
- Disney will donate one book for every eligible Disney book purchased at a participating store.
- Disney will donate one book for every “shelfie” (a selfie taken with your favorite book or in front of a bookshelf) on Twitter or Instagram tagged with #MagicofStorytelling
- Disney will donate one book for every digital book downloaded on the Story Central App.
- Disney will donate one book for every sweepstakes entry to the Magic of Storytelling Sweepstakes. Entering will also give you a chance to win a library of 400 Disney books for their school and personal library!
- There are also a number of in-store events taking place at participating retailers on Disney Reads Day, February 4th.
Disney is kicking off the “Magic of Storytelling” campaign with a special PSA narrated by Emma Watson, who encourages viewers to be inspired to help inspire children through literacy. Watson will play Belle in the upcoming live-action version of “Beauty and the Beast,” making her a very appropriate choice to narrate this video!
Learn more about the campaign and from now until March 31 make every effort to help bring the joy of reading to children across the nation!