We have some big news coming from our friends at the Walt Disney Studios today. On the heels of what is already a top box office summer for the film division of The Walt Disney Company, the Studios announced some updates to a few of their future films, as well as new films and release dates!
Some of the changes include the final name of the upcoming Muppets sequel which is now titled “Muppets Most Wanted” and the sequel to this summer’s “Planes” film called “Planes: Fire & Rescue.” Some of the new films announced include a Steve Carrell comedy called “Alexander And The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day” and two more untitled Marvel films set for release on May 2016 and 2017.
Full details can be found below. Are you excited about the upcoming slate of Disney films for the next few years? Sound off in the comments!
– – –
SAVING MR. BANKS (Disney)
· Now opens 12/13/13 limited. The previously announced 12/20/13 wide playdate is unchanged.
· Inspired by true events, SAVING MR. BANKS is the extraordinary, untold story of how Disney’s classic MARY POPPINS made it to the screen—and the testy relationship that the legendary Walt Disney had with author P.L. Travers that almost derailed it.
· Complete project profile below.
MUPPETS MOST WANTED (Disney)
· MUPPETS MOST WANTED is the final title of the follow-up to 2011’s THE MUPPETS. The previously announced 3/21/14 wide playdate is unchanged.
· Starring Ricky Gervais, Ty Burrell and Tina Fey, Disney’s MUPPETS MOST WANTED takes the entire Muppets gang on a global tour where they find themselves unwittingly entangled in an international crime caper.
· Complete project profile below.
PLANES: FIRE & RESCUE (Disney)
· Now dated on 7/18/14 wide in 3D.
ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAY (Disney)
· Now dated on 10/10/14 wide.
· Steve Carell and Jennifer Garner have been cast.
· 21 Laps and The Jim Henson Company are producing.
· Miguel Arteta is directing.
· ALEXANDER AND THE TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, NO GOOD, VERY BAD DAY, based on the award-winning children’s book by Judith Viorst, follows young Alexander through the mishaps of a terrible day for his family after he wishes they all would experience the same troubles he does.
· Moves to 12/12/14 wide (from 12/19/14 wide).
· The film is being directed by Brad Bird and written and produced by Bird and Damon Lindelof.
· George Clooney, Hugh Laurie, Raffey Cassidy and Thomas Robinson have been cast.
INTO THE WOODS (Disney)
· Now dated on Thursday, 12/25/14 wide.
· Rob Marshall is directing.
· INTO THE WOODS, based on the Tony-winning original musical by James Lapine and Stephen Sondheim, surrounds a baker and his wife’s quest to break a witch’s curse in order to start a family. Along the way, they encounter several well-known fairy tale characters, and together they learn what happens after “happily ever after”.
THE HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY (DreamWorks)
· Now dated on 8/8/14 wide.
- Lasse Hallstrom is directing.
- Steven Spielberg, Oprah Winfrey and Juliet Blake producing.
- THE HUNDRED-FOOT JOURNEY, based on the international best-selling book by Richard C. Morais, tells the story of an Indian boy living in France who becomes the culinary apprentice to his father’s rival.
UNTITLED MARVEL FILMS
We’ve also announced dates for two UNTITLED MARVEL films (5/6/16 and 5/5/17), in line with Marvel’s successful tradition of opening films in early May, including the billion-dollar hits MARVEL’S THE AVENGERS and Marvel’s IRON MAN 3. We look forward to announcing more details about these films as well as the sequel to THE AVENGERS (opening 5/1/15) at a later date.