Flo’s V8 Cafe, which will be located in Cars Land, is going to be an awesome place to eat some good food. Now, I’m sure all of you are thinking with Cars Land there will be fast food-like offerings.
Well, not entirely! Disney has announced that they will be serving some healthy, more wholesome foods like this Veggie Tater Casserole that will be offered at Flo’s. I, Jordie, do love meat, but have also had a recent affinity for vegeterian food too and by the looks of how they prepare this, it certainly look delicious enough to get your “tank” full.
Disney provided the recipe below so that you can make the casserole at home. If you do make it, be sure to post a picture of it here (photo reply has been enabled on this post) so that we can all look at your take on a Cars Land offering!
* * *
Veggie Tater Casserole
3/4 cup bulgur wheat
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup diced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 small cloves)
2/3 cup diced zucchini
2/3 cup diced yellow squash
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 1/2 cups vegetarian sausage crumbles, such as Morningstar Farms
Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 cups prepared mashed potatoes
6 deli-style slices cheddar or 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
- Place bulgur in a large, heatproof bowl; cover with boiling water. Set aside for 15 minutes; drain excess water and set bulgur aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan; add onions and cook until translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and add zucchini, squash, and peppers. Cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in sausage crumbles and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes more.
- Add bulgur to pan, stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a 9×9 baking dish, packing firmly with a spatula.
- Spread mashed potatoes over mixture, then top with cheddar.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and light brown at the edges. Let cool 3 to 4 minutes, then cut into squares and serve hot.