We hope everyone had a fantastic thanksgiving! We know that many of you (and us included) are now in a season where busyness becomes supreme – work is piled up, school is finishing up, and families are setting up for a another feast that is just a little less than a month away now. And speaking of feasts, it is only fitting that Disney fans have something Disney-inspired on their table for the holidays and we think we have just the thing!
To balance out your “twisted” schedules, we recommend making the newest sweet treat to hit the Disneyland Resort – the Strawberry Twists! These big pastries have packed a big punch to our taste buds so much so that they’ve left a permanent mark of love on us and we know that you’ll enjoy that punch yourselves. You can either make your way to Maurice’s Treats cart in Fantasy Faire in Disneyland Park to bring them to your next feast OR make them yourself with the official recipe straight from the Disneyland Resort Central Bakery.
Here’s Chef Christina Orejel to walk you through the process, as well as the recipe below.
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 (17.3-ounce) box (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mash mixture with a potato masher until the berries are softened and sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil, stirring often to prevent mixture from sticking to pan, until thick, about 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Place one sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured, movable, flat surface, such as a lightweight cutting board. Lightly dust surface of pastry with flour and roll to smooth creases.
- Spread pastry sheet with 1/3 cup of the strawberry mixture. (Refrigerate any remaining strawberry mixture for up to 5 days.)
- Roll the second sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to smooth creases; place on top of first sheet and press down gently.
- Place filled puff pastry in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick silicone mat.
- Using a ruler as a guide, cut into pastry into 1 1/2-inch strips. Carefully pick up strips and place on baking sheets, twisting 3 times before laying down.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Cool 10 minutes and finish with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Cook’s Note: You may substitute 1/3 cup store-bought strawberry jam.
– – –
Have you ever had a strawberry twist at Disneyland before? Is it your go-to snack while visiting or is it something else? What is that “something else”? Will you bring it to your table this Christmas? Let us know in the comments!